Caldwell, the county seat of Burleson County, is at the intersection of State highways 21 and 36, in the center of the county. In 1840, when the Texas Congress annexed to Milam County all of Washington County north of Yegua Creek and west of the Brazos River, Caldwell was designated as the county seat of a new county to be formed. The proposed town, surveyed by George B. Erath and named for Mathew Caldwell, was laid out parallel to the Old San Antonio Road and west of Davidson Creek; the site encompassed a settlement founded by Lewis L. Chiles.
Caldwell was designated a Main Street City by the Texas Historical Commission in January of 2014. The city received the honor of being named a Nationally Accredited Main Street Program for its performance and improvement in 2015.
The extended walking trail at Davidson Creek Park is in the process of being
paved. The new trail will begin at the back of the existing park adjacent to the
soccer fields parking lot and will extend to County Road 300 - June 2012.